Mark Waser wrote:
:-) I think that you don't realize that .NET in the SQL engine has all the advantages of standard .NET on Windows (i.e. it *isn't* true that everything has goes through a SQL funnel). If you can do a .NET port to Windows, that port will run inside the SQL engine with zero modification.

OK ... but if an RDB is not the right data container to use, then what advantage is there in running your C# code (including e.g. your graph DB) in in a SQL engine???

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Goertzel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:28 AM
Subject: **SPAM** Re: [agi] Development Environments for AI (a few non-religious comments!)

Mark Waser wrote:
That just wouldn't work at all for the Novamente design.

Is the problem translating from C++ to C# or something else?

Translating NM to C# would not be particularly problematic, though we would likely end up using unsafe code blocks in some places to make execution sufficiently rapid in the face of complex GC demands. It would certainly be a lot of work, though, and we don't have any motivation to do so.

AWindows port may be in the works, but that's a vastly simpler thing, of course. We have one key AI developer who has a peculiar fondness for VC++ and wants to do NM development in that environment.
While there might not be a good point to writing Novamente in the .NET framework in the SQL engine of a database server, I don't get why it wouldn't work at all.
So long as the SQL engine is Turing complete (which it is, I believe), it would work, if you set computational efficiency aside. However, my strong feeling is that it would be many orders of magnitude slower than the current implementation, which is not all that fast (for algorithmic rather than implementational reasons).

This was concluded in 2001 by NM team members who have a lot more experience with RDB's than I do.

RDB's obviously have major strengths, but they are not good for every application. As Eugen pointed out, they are not adequate for BLAST type gene sequence searches, nor for large-scale text information retrieval ... and nor for graph data structures that are rapidly evolving and need to support complex queries rapidly...

-- Ben

-- Ben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Goertzel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>