On 4/5/07, Eugen Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    I forget the exact number, but I think something like 20% of the
human
>    genome describes the brain.  If somebody is interested in building a

No, it codes for the brain tissue. That's something very different from
describing the brain. See

I didn't mean to imply that all this was for wiring, just that there is a
sizable
about of information used to construct the brain that comes from the genes.
If you want to model the brain then this is the kind of information that you
are going to have to put into your model.

Why does the optic tract project to the lateral geniculate nucleus, the
pretectum
and the superior colliculus and not other places in the brain?  Why does the
lateral genicultate body project to striate and not other parts of cortex?
Why does
the magnocellular pathway project to layer 4Calpha, while the parvocullular
pathway projects to 4A and 4Cbeta?  Why does the cerebral cortex project to
the putamen and caudate nucleus, but not the subthalamic nucleus?  I could
list pages and pages of examples of brain wiring that you were born with and
that came from your genetics, it's basic neuro science.

I don't clam that all wiring in the brain is genetic, or even a sizable
proportion of it.
What I am claiming is that the brain wiring that is genetic is non-trivial
and cannot
be ignored if somebody wants to build a working brain simulation.

You remember the thread: complexity in the code versus complexity in the
data? The Blue Brain complexity is all in the data. This is very different
from the classical AI, which tends to obsessionate about lots of clever
algorithms, but typically does sweep the data (state) under the carpet.

Yes, I agree, it's in the "data" rather than the "code".  But I don't accept
that you can say that their model is simple.

Shane