On 13/04/07, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
To convey this subtlety as simply as I can, I would suggest that you ask
yourself how much intelligence is being assumed in the preprocessing
system that does the work of (a) picking out patterns to be considered
by the system, and (b) picking the particular patterns that are to be
rewarded, according to some "success" criterion.  Here is the problem:
if you are not careful you will assume MORE intelligence in the
preprocessor than you were hoping to get the core of the system to
learn.  There are other issues, but that is one of the main ones.

For the record I agree with this critique of some of the neuroscience
views of reinforcement learning in the brain.

What I find tremendously frustrating is the fact that people are still
so dismally unaware of these issues that they come out with statement
such as the one in the quote:  speaking as if the idea of reward
assigment was a fantastic idea, and as if the neuroscience discovery of
a possible mechanism really meant anything.  The neuroscience discovery
was bound to collapse:  I said that much of it the first time I heard of
it, and I am glad that it has now happened so quickly.  The depressing
part is that the folks who showed it to be wrong think that they can
still tinker with the mechanism and salvage something out of it.

It think they do this because they haven't found a better hypothesis
and have too much invested in the previous status quo. I'd be curious
to know if your hypothesis for a motivation system has the potential
for the same simple signal given to systems, with different histories,
to cause the system to attempt to get the same signal again (addiction
being the pure example of this). This is one of the important
phenomenon I require a motivational system to explain.

 Will Pearson