Eliezer,

As the system is now solving the optimization problem in a much
> simpler way (brute force search), according to your perspective it
> has actually become less intelligent?

It has become more powerful and less intelligent, in the same way that
natural selection is very powerful and extremely stupid.

I think the best way to resolve this is to be more specific about what
we are calling powerful or stupid.

At a micro level an individual act of selection, reproduction etc. that
evolution is built upon is not powerful and is extremely stupid.

At a macro level when we consider an entire environment that performs
trillions of trillions of acts of selection, reproduction etc. over billions
of years, that system as a whole is very powerful, intelligent and creative.

The same can be said of the brain.  At a micro level an individual act of
Hebbian learning etc. on a synapse is not very powerful and quite stupid.
However, at a macro level when you consider trillions of trillions of these
acts in a system that has been trained over a couple of decades, the
result is the brain of an adult which is indeed powerful and intelligent.

Shane