Sorry, noticed that after I posted, acting autonomously given that it is acting
Intelligently as well.
  I was assuming the existence of an AGI / intelligent machine, and being asked
about the "consciousness" of that.

  An AGI that plans, reasons, and acts autonomously would be conscious.

Where the actual "acting" of course must be measured to some degree.

>Suppose you build a human level AGI, and argue
>that it is not autonomous no matter what it does, because it is
>deterministically executing a program.

It appears from the discussions here that it is virtually impossible to
determine if an intelligence (AGI/human) acts deterministically, so any actions
that reach a certain level of complexity must be gauged to be
non-deterministic, or conversely, if the AGI acts complexly enough at a level
of human action, then it would be considered the autonomous.

James Ratcliff

Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: --- James Ratcliff  wrote:

> >But you haven't answered my question.  How do you test if a machine is
> >conscious, and is therefore (1) dangerous, and (2) deserving of human
> rights?
>
> Easily, once it acts autonomously, not based on your direct given goals and
> orders, when it begins acting and generating its own new goals.
> After that all bets are off, and its a 'being' in its own right.

Not so easy.  A random number generator acts autonomously, or at least appears
to.  A malfunctioning flight control system that refuses to obey commands from
the pilot also appears to be acting autonomously, according to goals not
specified by its builders.  Suppose you build a human level AGI, and argue
that it is not autonomous no matter what it does, because it is
deterministically executing a program.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;

James Ratcliff - http://falazar.com