William Pearson wrote:
On 07/10/2007, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a question for you, Will.

Without loss of generality, I can change my use of Game of Life to a new
system called GoL(-T) which is all of the possible GoL instantiations
EXCEPT the tiny subset that contain Turing Machine implementations.

As far as I am concerned it is not that simple. Turing completeness
has nothing to do with any particular implementation of a TM in that
system. It is a property of the system.

[other stuff snipped]

Will,

This is factually incorrect. Please refer to the work done on Turing machine implementations in Game of Life.

The Turing Machine implementation was just that: arrange the cells in the right way and it is possible to build a Turing machine.

Arrange them differently, and it is impossible. For example, just one cell in the wrong state in one of those TM implementations, and the whole TM just explodes into chaos.

The TM implementation not only has no relevance to the behavior of GoL(-T) at all, it also has even less relevance to the particular claims that I made about GoL (or GoL(-T)).

If you think the TM implementation does impact it, you should demonstrate exactly how.

Richard Loosemore