On 12/10/2007, Edward W. Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (2)  WITH REGARD TO BOOKWORLD -- IF ALL THE WORLD'S BOOKS WERE IN
> ELECTRONIC
> FORM AND YOU HAD A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF AGI HARDWARD TO READ THEM ALL I
> THINK
> YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO GAIN A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF WORLD KNOWLEDGE
> FROM THEM,
> AND THAT SUCH WORLD KNOWLEDGE WOULD PROVIDE A SURPRISING AMOUNT
> OF GROUNDING
> AND BE QUITE USEFUL.

You can get lots of information from books. But I don't find the
implicit view of an intelligence, suggested by this scenario, well
enough specified. An intelligence is not a passive information sponge,
it only tends to acquire the information that is useful to its goal.
So before being able to answer the question of what a bookworld AGI
would be able to do, you would have to tell me what its goals are. For
example I could see an AGI that ignored all the semantic knowledge
embedded within text and just analyse the text in terms of statistics,
bigraphs/trigraphs etc and be very good at decryption problems, but
not very good at answering questions based on the emotions of the
participants of a story. Either could be learned dependent upon the
goals.

I also don't think that just shoving lots of information at a computer
will be a productive way of teaching it. Having a teacher on hand that
can point out the missing concept or answer a question should be able
to vastly speed up how well an AGI learns. Brute forcing the
combinatorial explosion, is not really an option in my view.

 Will Pearson