Edward,

I was not criticising you or your opinion of Granger's paper, but only pointing out that the paper itself had two sides to it: a neuroscience side (which appeared detailed and well-researched, as far as I could tell) and a cognitive side (which consisted of a few sentences of handwaving about ideas that are deeply flawed).

I spoke up because I just finished writing a paper with one of the most widely known, and widely respected, critics of this kind of cognitive neuroscience (Trevor Harley is Dean of the School of Psychology at the University of Dundee). I brought you something from the frontier of research in this area, in the hope that it would save you some effort.

I understand your frustration with my critical attacks.

But I write these critiques because I have been working in this area since 1981, and have been lucky enough to have been a mathematical physicist, a cognitive scientist, an AI researcher and a professional software engineer. I am in the unenviable position of trying to talk to cognitive scientists about computational matters (and getting blank looks, ruffled feathers or hostility) and talking to AI researchers about cognitive science (and getting the same kind of response). I do write non-critical work, but most of it is not in the public domain (a lot of it is proprietary, and becoming more so), so that puts me in the awkward position of seeing ridiculous things being said, then criticising them, and then being criticised myself for pointing out that there are problems.

I will continue to criticise, because there are a number of people who read what I write, find it illuminating, and then write to me privately saying that I should not be discouraged when, as so often happens, some people don't feel comfortable about it.

I would have stopped discussing these issues long ago, were it not for these behind-the-scenes requests to continue.

Richard Loosemore

Edward W. Porter wrote:
Richard,

I was not citing this article as God’s truth, but as an extremely interesting hypotheses that seems to have backing in brain science. But to be fair I gave no clear indication of that.

I have read enough papers attempting to assign various cognitive functions to various parts of the brain to understand that for almost any view as to what part of the brain does what you will get a contrary one. But I am personally glad more and more neuroscientists are willing to go out on a branch and make interesting hypothesis, because they provide interesting ideas that are likely to advance the state of collective understanding over time, and they provide interesting ideas that might be applicable to AGI.

It does not appear that any of your criticisms of this paper prove that its brain science is false, and it was largely its brain science I was citing it for in my response to Vladmir.

Further more it does not appear any of your criticisms prove, or even strongly suggest, its cognitive implications that you so condemn, are incorrect. Although, you do perform a service by reminding this list that, as cognitive science, this paper is probably best considered “speculative”.

Your major criticism of it is seems to be that the hypothesis does not come as complete theory that addresses all at once all of the many potential complications of a very complicated set of processes that are not very well understood.. This does no prove this hypothesis either false or worthless. If it did, most important initial hypothesis in virtually every field of sciences should have been disregarded.

Is Granger’s title brash? Yes. But so, I have read, were a lot of Rodney Brooks’s early writings. There is a lot of effort spent on marketing and branding in academia -- for good reason -- because it pays off. So I personally don’t mind an article the has a brash tone if it provides some interesting and plausible ideas. From some of your writings on this list, there is an implication that you might be much more interested in seeing what is wrong with others work than what is valuable in it.
If so, you may be denying yourself valuable insights.

Ed Porter