Richard: Now, interpreting that result is not easy,

Richard, I get the feeling you're getting understandably tired with all your correspondence today. Interpreting *any* of the examples of *hard* cog sci that you give is not easy. They're all useful, stimulating stuff, but they don't add up to a hard pic. of the brain's cognitive architecture. Perhaps Ben will back me up on this - it's a rather important point - our overall *integrated* picture of the brain's cognitive functioning is really v. poor, although certainly we have a wealth of details about, say, which part of the brain is somehow connected to a given operation.

Richard:I admit that I am confused right
now:  in the above paragraphs you say that your position is that the
human mind is 'rational' and then later that it is 'irrational' - was
the first one of those a typo?

Richard, No typo whatsoever if you just reread. V. clear. I say and said: *scientific pychology* and *cog sci* treat the mind as rational. I am the weirdo who is saying this is nonsense - the mind is irrational/crazy/creative - rationality is a major *achievement* not something that comes naturally. "Mike Tintner= crazy/irrational"- somehow, I don't think you'll find that hard to remember.