Richard:  in my system, decisions about what to do next are the
result of hundreds or thousands of "atoms" (basic units of knowledge,
all of which are active processors) coming together in a very
context-dependent way and trying to form coherent models of the
situation.  This cloud of knowledge atoms will cause an outcome to
emerge, but they almost never go through a sequence of steps, like a
linear computer program, to generate an outcome.  As a result I cannot
exactly predict what they will do on a particular occasion (they will
have a general consistency in their behavior, but that consistency is
not imposed by a sequence of machine instructions, it is emergent).

Sounds - just a tad - like somewhat recent Darwinian selection ideas of how the brain thinks. Do you think the brain actually thinks in your way? Doesn't have to - but you claim to be based on the brain. (You don't have a self engaged in conscious, "to be or not to be,"decisionmaking, I take it?)