On 25/03/2008, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> Simple systems can be computationally universal, so it's not an issue
>  in itself. On the other hand, no learning algorithm is universal,
>  there are always distributions that given algorithms will learn
>  miserably. The problem is to find a learning algorithm/representation
>  that has the right kind of bias to implement human-like performance.

First a riddle: What can be all learning algorithms, but is none?

I'd disagree. Okay simple systems can be computationally universal,
but what does that really mean.

Computational universality means to be able to represent any
computable function, the range and domain of this function are assumed
to be from the natural numbers to itself.

Most AI formulations when they say that are computationally universal
are only talking about function of F: I → O where I is the input and O
is the output. These include the formulations of neural networks/GA
etc that I have seen. However there are lots of interesting programs
in computers that do not map the input to the output. Humans also do
not just map the input to the output, we also think, ruminate, model
and remember. This does not affect the range of functions from the
input to the output, but it does change how quickly they can be moved
between. What I am interested in is in systems where the ranges and
domains of the functions are entities inside the system.

That is the F: I → S, F: S → O, and F: S→ S are important and should
be potentially computationally universal. Where S is the internal
memory of the system. This allows the system to be all possible
learning algorithms (although only one at any time), but also it is no
algorithm (else F: I x S → S, would be fixed).

General purpose desktop computers are these kinds of systems. If they
weren't how else could we implement any type of learning system on
them? Thus the answer to my riddle.

The question I have been trying to answer precisely is how to govern
these sorts of systems so they roughly do what you want, without you
having to give precise instructions.

  Will Pearson