From: Derek Zahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 12:43:37 PM
Subject: RE: [agi] WHAT ARE THE MISSING CONCEPTUAL PIECES IN AGI? --- recent
input and responses

    .hmmessage P { margin:0px;padding:0px;} body.hmmessage {
FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}  Stephen Reed writes:
  Hey Texai, let's program [Texai] I don't know how to program, can you teach
me by yourself? Sure, first thing is that a program consists of statements that
each does something [Texai]  I assume by program you mean a sequence of
instructions that a computer can interpret and execute, and that by statement
you mean a line of code written as part of a computer program Right.  One type
of instruction is the assignment statement.
 [Texai] OK, how is it interpreted? It has two parts, one part identifies a
variable that receives a copy of, or a reference to, an evaluated expression
described by the other part of the instruction [Texai] I assume by variable you
mean a symbol (like x or y) that is used in mathematical or logical expressions
to represent a variable quantity. What's an evaluated expression?  And under
what circumstances does the situation in which the variable receives a copy of
the evaluated expression occur, as contrasted with the situation in which the
variable receives a reference to the evaluated expression? Wow, if that turns
out to be an actual transcript sent back through a time machine (I mean, if it
works like you think), that's amazingly impressive.  Every part of it, from
knowing to ask you to teach it to do something, to connecting 'program' used as
a verb to 'program' used as a noun, to knowing all about sequences of
instructions, what computers are and
 how they work, what a "line of code" even means, and so on.  I assume these
things were taught to it through previous teaching sessions, and I'm really
eager to see that in action.  Of particular interest to me here is the
conceptual leap from equality in a mathematical expression (which I guess the
system already knows about) to the very different idea of assignment in a
normal programming language.  The origin of "a variable as a named thing that
can hold a value" was an interesting concept to communicate to undergraduate
business majors back in the day when I taught introductory programming... you
could just see them "get it" after trying analogies with mailboxes and diagrams
of computer memory and whatnot.  It had never occurred to some of them to put a
number in a box for later use before but I clearly remember the instant of
concept formation occurring in their fresh young minds :)

 Now the "aha" moment behind learning the concept of recursion is even more
interesting...

                         agi | Archives   | Modify  Your Subscription

Be a better friend, newshound, and