On 5/7/08, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> YKY : Logic can deal with almost everything, depending on how much effort
> you put in it =)
>
> "LES sanglots longs. des violons. de l'automne.
> Blessent mon cour d'une langueur monotone."
>
> You don't just read those words, (and most words), you hear them. How's
> logic going to hear them?

Google translates that into English as:
"The long sobbing violins of autumn hurt my heart with a monotonous languor."

Believe me, an AGI is potentially capable of appreciating the sounds
of the verse and other such nuances.  I won't go into the details, but
the input sentence would be represented as a raw sensory event, and it
is up to abductive interpretation to derive its meanings.  That means,
the AGI would understand it superficially as "The long sobbing
violins... etc", but augmented with other logic formulae that convey
other nuances.

You're talking about some very suble effects and that's not my focus
right now.  Right now I'm focusing on simple and practical AGI.  Your
stuff is potentially solvable by logic-based AGI, but I won't be
spending time on it now.

YKY