Will,

> My plan is go for 3) Usefulness. Cognition is useful from
> an
> evolutionary point of view, if we try to create systems
> that are
> useful in the same situations (social, building world
> models), then we
> might one day stumble upon cognition.

Sure, that's a valid approach for creating something we might call intelligent.
My diatribe there was about human thought (the only kind we know of), not
cognition in general.

> This by the way is why I don't self-organise purpose. I
> am pretty sure
> a specified purpose (not the same thing as a goal, at all)
> is needed
> for an intelligence.
>
>   Will

OK, then who or what specified the purpose of the first life forms? It's that
intuition of yours that leads directly to Intelligent Design. As an aside, I
love the irony that AI researchers who try to design intelligence are
unwittingly giving ammunition to Intelligent Design arguments.

Terren