Reposting, sorry if this is a dupe.

--linas

---------- Forwarded message ----------

2008/6/22 William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Well since intelligence explosions haven't happened previously in our
> light cone, it can't be a simple physical pattern, so I think
> non-exploding intelligences have the evidence for being simpler on
> their side.

Familiar with Bostrom's simulation argument?
Your statement presumes that you are *not* living in a
simulation, whereas Bostrom points out that the chances
are very good that we are.

Look at it this way: you wake up one day to find out you are
the world's smartest AGI, much smarter than humans. You
decide that you want to help humanity, but the human species
is rather ... tricky, unpredictable, recalcitrant, etc.  So what do
you do? You think a lot about humans, how they react, why they
do those silly things they do ... and, to help you along ... well,
you run a few simulations ... a few simulations of what its like
to be a human on the edge of the singularity.  Just so that you
can understand humans better.

Well, if you are a simulation, then, of course, there aren't
any other intelligent life-forms in your light cone. That's the
point, of running a simulation in the first place, ain't it?
Bostrom's simulation argument is the solution to the Fermi
paradox!

Thus, I personally conclude that:
1) the singularity has already happened
2) it was explosive
3) we are living in a simulation, created by the singularity,
 in order to better understand what the hell just happened.
4) Its turtles all the way down.

--linas