The Wikipedia article on PCA cites papers that show K-means clustering
and PCA to be in a certain sense equivalent-- from what I read so far,
the idea is that clustering is simply extracting discrete versions of
the continuous variables that PCA extracts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_component_analysis#Relation_to_K-means_clustering

Does that settle it?