----- Original Message ----
From: Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>My perspective on grounding is partially summarized here
>
>www.goertzel.org/papers/PostEmbodiedAI_June7.htm

I agree that AGI should ideally have multiple sources of knowledge as you
describe: explicitly taught, learned from conversation (or reading), and
learned from embodied experience.

But again, we must start with a specification. The goal of AGI is not to
produce artificial humans, but to do useful work with the lowest possible cost.
Depending on their jobs, AGI will have a huge range of capabilities and
non-human like environments. They will need concepts that don't translate into
English.

 -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]