Dawkins tends to see an truth, and then overstate it. What he says isn't usually exactly wrong, so much as one-sided. This may be an exception.

Some meanings of "group selection" don't appear to map onto reality. Others map very weakly. Some have reasonable explanatory power. If you don't define with precision which meaning you are using, then you invite confusion. As such, it's a term that it's better not to use.

But I wouldn't usually call it a lie. Merely a mistake. The exact nature of the mistake depend on precisely what you mean, and the context within which you are using it. Often it's merely a signal that you are confused and don't KNOW precisely what you are talking about, but merely the general ball park within which you believe it lies. Only rarely is it intentionally used to confuse things with malice intended. In that final case the term "lie" is appropriate. Otherwise it's merely inadvisable usage.

Eric Burton wrote:
I remember Richard Dawkins saying that group selection is a lie. Maybe
we shoud look past it now? It seems like a problem.