Thinking out loud here as I find the relationship between compression and
intelligence interesting:

Compression in itself has the overriding goal of reducing storage bits.
Intelligence has coincidental compression. There is resource management
there. But I do think that it is not ONLY coincidental. Knowledge has
structure which can be organized and naturally can collapse into a lower
complexity storage state. Things have order, based on physics and other
mathematical relationships. The relationship between compression and stored
knowledge and intelligence is intriguing. But knowledge can be compressed
inefficiently to where it inhibits extraction and other operations so there
are differences with compression and intelligence related to computational
expense. Optimal intelligence would have a variational compression structure
IOW some stuff needs fast access time with minimal decompression resource
expenditure and other stuff has high storage priority but computational
expense and access time are not a priority.

And then when you say the word compression there is a complicity of utility.
The result of a compressor that has general intelligence still has a goal of
reducing storage bits. I think that compression can be a byproduct of the
stored knowledge created by a general intelligence. But if you have a
compressor with general intelligence built in and you assign it a goal of
taking input data and reducing the storage space it still may result in a
series of hacks because that may be the best way of accomplishing that goal.

Sure there may be some new undiscovered hacks that require general
intelligence to uncover. And a compressor that is generally intelligent may
produce more rich lossily compressed data from varied sources. The best
lossy compressor is probably generally intelligent. They are very similar as
you indicate... but when you start getting real lossy, when you start asking
questions from your lossy compressed data that are not related to just the
uncompressed input there is a difference there. Compression itself is just
one dimensional. Intelligence is multi.

John