On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:27 AM, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry I don't have the time to type a detailed reply, but for your
> second point, see the example in
> http://www.cogsci.indiana.edu/pub/wang.fuzziness.ps , page 9, 4th
> paragraph:
>
> If these two types of uncertainty [randomness and fuzziness] are
> different, why bother to treat them in an uniform way?
> The basic reason is: in many practical problems, they are involved
> with each other. Smets stressed
> the importance of this issue, and provided some examples, in which
> randomness and fuzziness are
> encountered in the same sentence ([20]). It is also true for
> inferences. Let's take medical diagnosis
> as an example. When a doctor want to determine whether a patient A is
> suffering from disease D,
> (at least) two types of information need to be taken into account: (1)
> whether A has D's symptoms,
> and (2) whether D is a common illness. Here (1) is evaluated by
> comparing A's symptoms with D's
> typical symptoms, so the result is usually fuzzy, and (2) is
> determined by previous statistics. After
> the total certainty of "A is suffering from D" is evaluated, it should
> be combined with the certainty
> of  "T is a proper treatment to D" (which is usually a statistic
> statement, too) to get the doctor's
> "degree of belief" for "T should be applied to A". In such a situation
> (which is the usual case,
> rather than an exception), even if randomness and fuzziness can be
> distinguished in the premises,
> they are mixed in the middle and  final conclusions.

Thanks, that's a good point that I haven't thought of.

For example
    I have a _slight_ knee pain  (fuzzy, z = 0.6)
    knee pain -> rheumatoid arthritis  (p = 0.3)   (excuse me for
making up numbers)
Then my system would convert
    knee pain (z = 0.6)   to   knee pain = true (binary)
and conclude
    rheumatoid arthritis (p = 0.3)

So there is some loss of information, but I feel this is OK.  Many
commonsense reasoning steps are lossy.  We're not trying to build
doctors here.  A commonsense AGI can control a medical expert system
to achieve professional levels.

The point is, I can always keep P and Z orthogonal.

YKY