Matt,

Yes embodiment is essential to the unconscious brain's recognizing the joke in the first place. If the joke is, say, about a guy getting his cock caught in a zipper, it's your embodied identification with him, that has you doubling up and clutching your guts with laughter. Without a body, you couldn't understand the joke. Ditto you understand the software engineer joke because you've been there, done that [or could do]. [Without an embodied brain and head that give you emotions of cloudiness/vagueness/clarity/confusion/ brilliance/dimness etc, you can't even understand "understand". You'll think your computer can at first, but by now - I'm arguing generally - you should have realised there's always more to human intelligence (and emotions) than meets the eye].

Matt/MT:>> 4.To have a sense of humour, as I more or less indicated,
you have to be
able to identify with the "funny guy" making the
error - and that is an
*embodied* identification. The humour that gets the
biggest, most physical
laughs and even has you falling on the floor, usually
involves the biggest,
most physical errors - e.g. slapstick. There are no plans
that I know of, to
have computers "falling about."

No, the computer's task is to recognize humor, not to experience it. You only have to model the part of the brain that sends the signal to your pleasure center.