Brad Paulson wrote

Fortunately, as I argued above, we do have other choices.  We don't have to
settle for human-like.
<<<

I do not see so far other choices. Chess is AI but not AGI.

Your idea of an incremental roadmap to human-level AGI is interesting, but I
think everyone who tries to build a human-level AGI already makes incremental
experiments and first steps with non-human-level AGI in order to make a proof
of concept.
I think, Ben Goertzel has done some experiments with artificial dogs and other
non-human agents.

So it is only a matter of definition what we mean by AGI 1.0
I think, we now have already AGI 0.0.x and the goal is AGI 1.0 which can do the
same as a human.

Why this goal?
An AGI which resembles functionally (not necessarily in algorithmic details) a
human has the great advantage
that everyone can communicate with this agent.

It would be interesting for me which set of abilities you want to have in AGI
1.0.

In a certain sense, I agree with you. The goal of human level AGI is too
ambitious. It seems to me like the wish to go to mars without having ever built
airplanes. There is a lot of room between chess and human level AI and it is
really a big question whether we can ignore this room and can do the big step
to AGI with only one conception stage.