Mike,

A very messily formatted rough draft of From Complexity to Creativity is
here

http://www.goertzel.org/books/complex/contents.html

Alas I long ago lost the wordperfect 5.1 file that was used to generate the
final proofs way back when...

The chapter that gives an overall theory of the psychology of creativity is
here

http://www.goertzel.org/books/complex/ch14.html

however that chapter is very high level and to make it concrete you'd need
to trace the foundations of the ideas there back into the prior chapters...

Here is the intro text of that chapter ... some of it sounds like it could
have come out of your own mouth ;-)

*****

    Creativity is the great mystery at the center of Western culture. We
preach order, science, logic and reason. But none of the great
accomplishments of science, logic and reason was actually achieved in a
scientific, logical, reasonable manner. Every single one must, instead, be
attributed to the strange, obscure and definitively irrational process of
creative inspiration. Logic and reason are indispensible in the working out
ideas, once they have arisen -- but the actual * conception* of bold,
original ideas is something else entirely.

    No creative person completely understands what they do when they create.
And no two individuals' incomplete accounts of creative process would be the
same. But nevertheless, there are some common patterns spanning different
people's creativity; and there is thus some basis for theory.

    In previous chapters, the phenomenon of creativity has lurked around the
edges of the discussion. Here I will confront it head-on. Drawing on the
ideas of most of the previous chapters, I will frame a comprehensive
complexity-theoretic answer to the question: How do those most exquisitely
complex systems, minds, go about creating forms?

    I will begin on the whole-mind, personality level, with the idea that
certain individuals possess creatively-inspired, largely medium-dependent
"creative subselves." In conjunction with the Fundamental Principle of
Personality Dynamics, this idea in itself gives new insight into the
much-discussed relationship between inspired creativity and madness. A
healthy creative person, it is argued, maintains I-You relationships between
their creative subselves and their everyday subselves. In the mind of a
"mad" creative person, on the other hand, the relationship is strained and
competitive, in the I-It mold.

    The question of the * internal workings* of the creative subself is then
addressed. Different complex systems models are viewed as capturing
different * aspects* of the creative process.

    First, the analogy between creative thought and the genetic algorithm is
pursued. It is argued that the creative process involves two main aspects:
combination and mutation of ideas, in the spirit of the genetic algorithm;
and analogical spreading of ideas, following the lines of the dynamically
self-organizing associative memory network. The dual network model explains
the interconnection of these two processes. While these processes are
present throughout the mind, creative subselves provide an environment in
which they are allowed to act with unusual liberty and flexibility.

    This flexibility is related to the action of the perceptual-cognitive
loop, which, when "coherentizing" thought-systems within the creative
subself, seems to have a particularly gentle hand, creating systems that can
relatively easily be dissected and put back together in new ways. Other
subselves create their own realities having to do with physical
sense-perceptions and actions; creative subselves, on the other hand, create
their own realities having to do with abstract forms and structures. Because
the creative subself deals with a more flexible "environment," with a more
amenable fitness landscape, it can afford to be more flexible internally.

    In dynamical systems terms, the process of creative thought may be
viewed as the simultaneous creation and exploration of autopoietic
attractors. Ideas are explored, and allowed to lead to other ideas, in
trajectories that evolve in parallel. Eventually this dynamic process leads
to a kind of rough "convergence" on a strange attractor -- a basic sense for
what kind of idea, what kind of product one is going to have. The various
parts of this attractor are then explored in a basically chaotic way, until
a particular * part* of the attractor is converged to. In formal language
terms, we may express this by saingy that the act of creative
inspiration *creates its own languages
*, which it then narrows down into simpler and simpler languages, until it
arrives at languages that the rest of the mind can understand.

    The hierarchical structure of the dual network plays a role here, in
that attractors formed on higher levels progressively give rise to
attractors dealing with lower levels. One thus has a kind of iterative
substitution, similar to the L-system model of sentence production. Instead
of sentences consisting of words, however, one has "sentences" (abstract
syntactic constructions) consisting of much more abstract structures. The
lower levels use their evolutionary dynamics to produce elements that yield
the higher-level created structures as * emergent patterns*.

    An analogy between the structure of creative ideas and the structure of
* dreams* is made. Just as dreams provide autopoietic thought systems with
what they need, so, it is argued, do creative inspirations. Creative
inspiration deals with thought systems whose needs are too complex for
dreams to figure out how to solve. Creative activity is, in part, a very
refined way of disempowering excessively persistent autopoietic thought sys
tems.

    In this sense the creative state of consciousness is structurally and
functionally similar to the dream state of consciousness. There are also
other similarities between the two states. For instance, in both states, the
perceptual corner of the perceptual-cognitive-active loop is replaced with a
reference to * memory*, while the "inner eye" is relieved of its duty of
ordinary detached reflection. In dreaming, however, the inner eye often has
no role whatsoever, or a very nebulous role; while in creative inspiration
it assumes an alien or "godlike" mantle.

    These observations do not exhaust the richness of human creativity, but
they do constitute a far more detailed and comprehensive theory of
creativity than has ever been givenbefore. They tie together the actual
experience of creativity with the dynamics of existing computational
algorithms. And they show us exactly what is missing in the supposedly
creative computer programs that we have today.

*****