Matt,

I suppose you don't care about Steve's "do not comment" request? Oh
well, I want to discuss this anyway. 'Tis why I posted in the first
place.

No, I do not claim that computer theorem-provers cannot prove Goedel's
Theorem. It has been done. The objection applies specifically to
AIXI-- AIXI cannot prove goedel's theorem. More generally, all AIXI's
world-models are computable.

What do I mean when I say "to reason about non-computable entities"?
Well, Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem is a fine example. Another
example is the way humans can talk about whether a particular program
will halt. This sort of thing can be done in logical systems by adding
basic non-computable primitives. A common choice is to add numbers.
(Numbers may seem like the prototypical computable thing, but any
logic of numbers is incomplete, as Goedel showed of course.)

The broader issue is that *in general* given any ideal model of
intelligence similar to AIXI, with a logically defined class of
world-models, it will be possible to point out something that the
intelligence cannot possibly reason about-- namely, its own semantics.
This follows from Tarski's indefinability theorem, and hinges on a few
assumptions about the meaning of "logically defined".

I am not altogether sure that the Novamente/OCP design is really an
approximation of AIXI anyway, *but* I think it is a serious concern.
If the Novamente/OCP design really solves the (broader) problem, then
it also solves some key problems in epistemology (specifically, in
formal theories of truth), so it would be very interesting to see it
worked out in these terms.

--Abram