Ben Goertzel wrote:
I don't think Qiroga et al's statements are contradictory, just
irritatingly vague...

I agree w Richard that the distributed vs sparse dichotomy is poorly
framed and in large part a bogus dichotomy

I feel the same way about the symbolic vs subsymbolic dichotomy...

Many of the conceptual distinctions at the heart of standard cognitive
science theory are very poorly defined, it's disappointing...

Well, we agree on that much then. ;-)

All I can say is that I am working my way through the entire corpus of knowledge in cog sci, attempting to unify it in such a way that it really does all hang together, and become well defined enough to be both testable and buildable as a complete AGI.

The paper I wrote with Harley, and the more recent one on consciousness, were just a couple of opening salvos in that effort.

Richard Loosemore