Ben,

Cycorp participated in the DARPA Transfer Learning project, as a subcontractor.
  My project role was simply a team member and I did not attend any PI
meetings.  But I did work on getting a Quake III Arena environment working at
Cycorp which was to be a transfer learning testbed.   I also enhanced Cycorp's
Java application that gathered facts from the web using the Google API.

Regarding winning a DARPA contract, I believe that teaming with an established
contractor, e.g. SAIC, SRI, is beneficial.

Cheers,
-Steve

Stephen L. Reed

Artificial Intelligence Researcher