Excuse my persistence, but I think you are missing the
point here.

If you can produce a "covariance" function by
subtracting the semi-variogram from an arbitrary
constant AND if it makes no difference to the
resulting equations, you are simply constructing the
equations WITH the semi-variogram. Not so?

In which case, the necessity to provide a covariance
function is an artifact introduced by the way the
software package is set up and not a constraint
imposed by the kriging method.

My original question was whether this is a problem in
how the software was written, not a geostatistical
problem. Your answer is telling me yes, it is. Thank
you.

Isobel

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful