Hi guys,

I promised myself I would not waste more time
on this futile discussion about covariance and variogram,
but it seems that the discussion has drifted far away from
the initial comment by Isobel or that most people don't
remember what was the initial question.

Isobel's comment originated from my sideline remark
(it was not even part of Celia's initial question)
that the SIMPLE kriging system can not be written in terms of
semivariograms, which Isobel qualified of pure non sense..
It seems that my reference to the excellent
book by Chiles and Delfiner did not convince Isobel.
Let's then use Gslib book by Deutsch and Journel since
it is probably more widely used by members of this discussion
list and Isobel pointed out that anecdote with Andre.
On page 65 of Gslib user manual, 2nd paragraph, I quote:
"In the sytem (IV.4) (SIMPLE kriging system!), the covariance
values C(h) cannot be replaced by semivariogram values
g(h)=C(O)-C(h) unless sum_lambda = 1, which is the ordinary
kriging constraint". I guess it's clear enough, and that is
nothing to do with whether we should solve an ordinary
kriging system in terms of covariances or semivariograms
(Everybody knows that you get the same results!), or
whether we should teach students in one way or another...

Given that SIMPLE kriging is rarely used, we might even
argue that all this discussion is pointless...
Again, the reason for that e-mail is to clarify the matter
for students or practitioners who might have been
confused by this exchange of e-mails... I don't have
a book, a software or a consulting company to advertise!

Cheers,

Pierre

  ________      ________
 |        \    /        |    Pierre Goovaerts
 |_        \  /        _|    Assistant professor
 __|________\/________|__    Dept of Civil & Environmental Engineering
|                        |   The University of Michigan
|     M I C H I G A N    |   EWRE Building, Room 117
|________________________|   Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48109-2125, U.S.A
 |        |\  /|        |    E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 |________| \/ |________|    Phone:   (734) 936-0141
                             Fax:     (734) 763-2275
                             http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~goovaert/