Dear Bill, dear all.

I know that many people here would like to see
adverts or annoucements of free products on the list. Many others don't. Bill
wrote "freebies are a good thing for readers on this list as long as it it not
overly done."

The problem is to find the right the balance, to decide if the announcement is
a commercial product or not.

The easiest answer to these questions I have found so far is to refuse any
commercial advert or annoucement of demos on the mailing list(*). On the other
hand, I provide the members of ai-geostats with a NEWS section on the
AI-GEOSTATS web pages (www.ai-geostats.org) where companies can introduce
themselves, announce the release of the new products, in fact everything they
want which could be interesting for the members of ai-geostats...

I strongly believe that this is not only the easiest way to manage the mailing
list but also that it is the best compromise for anyone. I therefore will not
change the policy of a very successful mailing list which is 6 years old and
has almost 800 subscribers coming from around 100 countries.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Best regards

Gregoire

(*) accepted annoucements are those related to free products: these are
products that are freely distributed without any restriction and that are not
a demonstration version of a commercial product. See i.e. Geoeas, Gstat, ...

William V Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gregoire et al,
>
> I know this has been a reoccurring discussion and ultimately you make the
final call.  I also realize that I am not an unbiased lurker on this list.
However, it seems to me that freebies are a good thing for
> readers on this list as long as it it not overly done.
>
> Posters to this list can ask or explain anything about particular GIS
packages, GSLIB, etc.  Good.  Why not let us share knowledge on other packages
especially if they are free (or make announcements about
> software that will be given away free even in limited quantities)?
>
> Most of us do not want this list to become a commercial advertising zone.
But sharing knowledge should (in my opinion) allow mention of various free
learning tools/software/books/literature.  I (& perhaps
> numerous others) do not have the time to look at other software listings you
may have & would rather focus our limited time on this list.

> Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.  It has been bothering me for
awhile.

> Bill Harper
>
> Gregoire Dubois wrote:
>
> > I decided long time ago not to moderate the list directly (I mean not
> > filtering the mails before they arrive on the list) since I'm not
available
> > 24h/24h and don't want to have subscribers waiting days before seeing
their
> > requests/replies distributed to all. Because one has to be subscribed to
the
> > list in order to be allowed to send messages, the list is partly
protected
> > from spamming. This seems to work quite OK so far and I don't want to
change
> > it at the moment.
>
> --
> William V. Harper, Mathematical Sciences, Otterbein College
> Towers Hall 136, One Otterbein College
> Westerville, OH 43081-2006 USA    614-823-1417 Fax: 614-823-3201
> Faculty page: http://www.otterbein.edu/home/fac/WLLVHRPR/
> For the best in geostatistics: http://geoecosse.hypermart.net/
> Future features: http://www.wvharper.com - currently points to above
geostatistics site

> --
any useful responses to your questions.

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful