To my question on the use of rodograms I got the two following references:

Paul Harris gave me the following:

Journel A. 1988. +IBw-New distance measures: the route toward truly non-gaussian
geostatistics+IB0, mathematical geology vol 20 no 4.

Pierre Goovaerts mentioned at paper presented at the Geostat congress in
Avignon, 1988.

Srivastava and Parker. 1989.Robust measures of spatial continuity. in M.
Armstrong, editor, Geostatistics, pages 295-308, Kluwer, Dordrecht.

I will certainly have a look at these papers. On the basis of what I have
found so far, I still have a question about the use of rodograms.

In Pierre+IBk-s book, (page 31), the following is discussed: influence of
extreme values can be reduced by using lower values of the order of the
variogram (2 = traditional semivariogram, 1 = madogram,  +AL0  = rodogram). On
page 86, it is further mentioned that relative rodograms and madograms provide
information (range, anisotropy) on large-scale features. This last point is
also mentioned in the manual of the GeostatOffice software +IBw-Rodograms and
madograms are useful for investigating large-scale structures, where data are
usually rather rough. If p=2 we get the most traditional measure called
variogram, it opens finer sides of data correlation and can fail for rough
data where rodogram and madogram succeed.+IB0 (see
http://www.ibrae.ac.ru/+AH4-mkanev/eng/gsoffice/HELP/Appendix.html)

My original question on rodogram came from a micro scale analysis of 9 points
located very closely (measurements of radioactivity made on a grid with nodes
separated by 12 cm). The fact that only the rodogram revealed a clear spatial
structure (unless you do an audacious regression of the experimental
semivariogram) might be an artefact due to the very few samples or a correct
approach if it wouldn+IBk-t contradict the theory claiming that rodograms are
more useful for large-scale structures.

Is this argumentation based on theory or on experience with environmental
data?

I would appreciate your feedback about this last point.

Gregoire

(Has everyone made a new +IBM year resolution on contributing to AI-GEOSTATS ??
The activity of the mailing list has been boosted tremendously since the
beginning of this year).

* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful