From: Gregoire Dubois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 September 2004 10:57
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ai-geostats] XValid script

Hi Mark,

1) At

http://www.ai-geostats.org/software/Codes_Softfaq.htm

you will find a few codes for Surfer. I have just added
crossvalidation.bas , a code I derived from Aleksey Amantov's
jacknife.bas You will need to code a bit yourself to select the correct
interpolation function (Inverse Distance Weighted is the default) as
well as the proper parameters. Surfers manual is sufficient to learn to
program with Scripter (quick basic). Sorry, but I will not provide any
support. Note that crossvalidations are implemented in Surfer 8.

2) In short: Geostatistics are not appropriate when you don't have a
spatial correlation (even this is questionable :) ). Frequently, people
who do not find any spatial correlation in their data apply other
functions like Inverse Weighted Distance. I believe such a solution is
completelt wrong. Either you have a spatial correlation and you can
interpolate/predict values, or you don't and only models based on sound
physics (e.g. Temperature T decreases with latitude and altitude, thus
you can predict T) can be used. Outside of these two solutions, I would
recommend only to use Thiessen polygons for displaying purposes (not for
real estimations!): they do not look "natural" when applied to
continuous variables and can thus not fool the persoon looking at the
output. Moreover, Thiessen polygons provides useful information on the
weight of each sample. Maps of proportional symbols would also do.

Cheers,

Gregoire