I would agree with Gregoire's assessment.
The presence of a global trend does not prohibit the use of geostatistics.
As illustrated in the following paper by Journel and Rossi:
Journel, A.G. and M.E. Rossi. 1989. When do we need a trend model
in kriging? Mathematical Geology, 21(7):715--739.
global trends can be easily handled by the use of local search
windows in kriging, which allows us to rely on the assumption of
quasi-stationarity.

Of course if the trend is complex and can be described using
process-based models (e.g. urban pollution), it is better to use
this physical model for the trend and use geostatistics to
interpolate the residuals, provided there is some spatial
correlation left.

Cheers,

Pierre

Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
President of PGeostat, LLC
Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
710 Ridgemont Lane
Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone:   (734) 668-9900
Fax:     (734) 668-7788

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Gregoire Dubois wrote:

> [...]

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the body
(plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats