        From: Simone Sammartino [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Mon 5/2/2005 10:14 AM
        To: Geostat newsgroup
        Subject: [ai-geostats] A banal question...

        Dear all
        a banal question...
        I'm not able to understand the stationarity of covariance in second
order stationarity theory...
        On any book or article I can read:
        ....covariance between Z(x) e Z(x+h) exist and does not depend on x,
but only on h; in fact
        Cov[Z(x),Z(x+h)]=Cov(h)....
        It is considered so banal that in any text I consulted this part is
described with the same sentence...but it is not explicated via mathematical
formalism....
        Why should E[Z(x)Z(x+h)]-m^2 be so logically reduced to Cov(h)
        You'll laugh for my request, but I'm not able to understand why it
should be so logical....
        In some text I found also...=Cov(x1-x2)=Cov(h) where distance between
x1 and x2 is exactly h, but it does not help me to understand it....
        I can't realize how to calculate Cov(h) that is a variable (it is in
reality at least a vector of constant), when usually covariance is calculated
between two variables....
        Please have the patience to help me to solve this trick
        Thanks
        Simone
        Dr. Simone Sammartino
        PhD student