Title: Getting geostatistical support outside of ai-geostats

Dear all,

I'm profiting from a rainy Sunday to reduce the huge backlog in my correspondences regarding AI-GEOSTATS. I have around 50 unanswered emails in geostatistics that I have received within the last 3-4 months. The problem with these mails is that most have been sent to me without going through the ai-geostats mailing list. In the same way, in the case questions sent to ai-geostats remain unanswered, I get these back in my mailbox a few days later. The trend of contacting me directly is increasing constantly and this has to end obviously. You should understand that I can't cope with all these requests: I have a normal job and AI-GEOSTATS is an activity that is almost a hobby and managed mainly in my spare time. Obviously, I can't forward your questions further to the (real) kings of geostatistics like Pierre, Isobel, Donald, Edzer and many others. They probably also get their fair parts of requests and this is not the philosophy of a mailing list.

Please remember that the success of AI-GEOSTATS is based on a collective effort and that archives of messages exist. Actually, these archives are the real treasures of the list. The frequently asked questions written by Syed should also help newcomers to have a first look at what geostatistics is about.

I must thus insist that you send your messages to the list, not to me, and, if you are a beginner in the field, to use the FAQs and browse through the archives to see if your question has not already been answered several times. This is usually the case with questions that get either no answer or only a brief "look at ..".

In the same way, replies should be sent to the list to make sure these are archived with the questions as well.

I will thus add a new rule to those already existing: do not send your geostatistical questions directly to people, use the list instead and accept the fact that you not always get an answer. In the same way, replies should be sent to the list, not only to the authors of the questions.

Thank you for your attention.

Have nice Sunday!

Gregoire

Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)
JRC - European Commission
IES - Emissions and Health Unit
Radioactivity Environmental Monitoring group
TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 (0)332 78 6360
Fax. +39 (0)332 78 5466
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org
WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission."

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the
body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats