Negative kriging weights can occur when you have a so-called "screening
effect", that is points close to the location at which an estimation is
needed "mask" points that are further appart. The problem is thus the
topology of your sampling locations.

Solution: reduce the neighborhood of your estimator (e.g. use 1 or 2
points in each sector of your serch ellipse to avoid searching too far)

A reference explaining the maths behind the weights is: Clayton V.
Deutsch, (1996) Correcting for negative weights in ordinary kriging,
Computers & Geosciences, Volume 22, Issue 7,Pages 765-773.

An excellent (free!) tool for visualising this problem is E{Z}-Kriging
(see FAQ section of AI-GEOSTATS) written by Denis Walvoort.

Hope this helps,

Gregoire

Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)
European Commission