Hi Simone,

Your definition is historically the correct one..
Note that the term "kriging analysis", sloppy translation for
the term "analyse krigeante" introduced in Matheron's 1992 seminal
paper, could also be used.

The use of the term "factorial kriging" for the
decomposition of a RF into spatial components based on a nested semivariogram
model can be traced back to Gslib user manual. To be consistent, I used
the same term in my book and used the expression "multivariate factorial
kriging" when dealing with more than one variable (e.g. regionalized PCA).

I think that both expressions are acceptable, albeit confusing. The
use of the term "factorial" does not systematically imply a multivariate
analysis and a factor does not need to be a linear combination of variables.

Hope it helps,

Pierre

Pierre Goovaerts
Chief Scientist at BioMedware