Hi Niklas,

This is a very good question; in fact one of the participants to my last short
course
asked the same question since he was using ARCview with the option
"nugget effect excluded"  and was surprised to see that his observations were
not honored by the kriging predictions. This is related to the issue
of how to define the nugget effect. On almost all figures in the literature the
semivariogram
model seems to start on the vertical axis at a value equal to the nugget
effect, while
in fact the value of the model is set to zero for h=0 in the kriging system.
This ensure
that kriging is an exact interpolator, which is usually a desirable property.
When interpolated nodes correspond to sampled locations, this exactitude
property can create spikes in the kriged map; in other words these locations
contrast with the general smoothness of the interpolated map produced by kriging
and it is one reason why the option to filter the noise, even at the sampled
locations
was introduced (A general presentation of the filtering properties of kriging
can be found in my book p. 172-174). Another application of the filtering
method is the use of kriging for finding minimum or maximum in numerical models;
see paper
Sasena, M.J., Parkinson, M., Goovaerts, P., Papalambros, P.Y. and M. Reed.
2002.
<http://ode.engin.umich.edu/publications/papers/2002/DETC2002_DAC34091.pdf>
Adaptive experimental design applied to an ergonomics testing procedure.
Proceedings of
DETC'02 ASME 2002 Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and
Information in Engineering Conference. Montreal, Canada, September 29- October
2, 2002.
 http://ode.engin.umich.edu/publications/papers/2002/DETC2002_DAC34091.pdf

More generally, the question is whether the nugget effect represents
measurement errors
(variability at the sampled locations) which you might want to filter, or
whether it
represents small-scale variability in the field.
Note that the discontinuities in the map will disappear if you use a simulation
method.

Hope it helps,

Pierre

Pierre Goovaerts