Dear all,

I am interested in calculating an index of agricultural land inequality for
Brazil and have a question about best approaches. I'm thinking that a GINI
coefficient would be a good approach given traditional uses of GINI, but am
open to other suggestions.

I have a data set for all municipalities in Brazil that consists of four
columns for each municipality (rows): 1) number of family farms, 2) area
occupied by small farm land use; 3) number of non-family farms; 4) area
occupied by non-family farms.

What's I'm really hoping to attain is a value that can represent the
relations between percent area occupied by non-family farms in comparison
with family farms.

I can obtain the total area of the municipality from municipality shape
file, but I don't think it makes sense to have a simple ratio of non-family
farm area/municipality area as there will be various other forms of land
use.
Any suggestions on how to calculate a spatial GINI using this data set in
ArcGIS (10.0), or a different statistic that makes more sense would be
greatly appreciated
Best,
David
--