Paul Davis wrote:
This problem happens randomly but is very annoying, specially if I
program my PVR (MythTV) to automatically record a show - the show can
get recorded with metallic sound, which makes it very hard to understand
during playback.

This is not MythTV-specific since I have been able to reproduce the
problem using other applications, like the Gnome sound recorder. It is
unrelated to full-duplex operation since when recording a show MythTV
doesn't open /dev/dsp for writing.

I really have no idea about how to troubleshoot this. I don't think
the problem is hardware, but is driver-related instead.

its almost certainly a software problem in mythTV and gnome sound
recorder. i've written code that does this several times - every time
it takes me ages to figure out why, and then i can never remember when
i do it the next time. its related to off-by-1 errors in processing
incoming audio.

i also have the same problem with speakfreely with my cs46xx. it does not look like the metallic sound is triggered by any specific event (load, I/O,...). out of the sudden somethings goes wrong. i think i also experienced it with the kde sound recorder. but i have not updated the alsa driver for a while (still 0.9.5 or so). toggleing the ADC sounds like a good idea. i have not tried that yet but reloading the modules works too.

not necessarily, of course, just a point of view.

hmm, what makes something sound metallic anyway? echo?

bye,
wilfried

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: The SF.net Donation Program. Do you like what SourceForge.net is doing for the Open Source Community? Make a contribution, and help us add new features and functionality. Click here: http://sourceforge.net/donate/ _______________________________________________ Alsa-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-devel