I am writing an application that uses an RME9636 Hammerfall light with the
ALSA API. Occasionally (and randomly) the card is left in a locked up state by
my application as the next time I run the program the card is unable to
signal to the computer when there is capture or playback data to be
transferred and doesn't signal xruns. At this point I am unable to use the
card with any ALSA applications, aplay etc., until after rebooting the
computer.

Why might this be happening? Could the program be exiting when the card is
temporarily is a state of being locked? I am using threads, could this have
something to do with it? And is there any way of resetting the card in
software, ie. is there any ALSA API function that does this? I would prefer
not to reboot the computer every time that this happens.

Thanks
Kris Modrak