Fernando,
   Thanks for the response. I have blacklisted the usb-midi and audio
drivers and they no longer load. as expected.

   I discovered this afternoon that I have too much stuff in
modules.conf I think. (Actually in /etc/modules.d/alsa)

# OSS/Free portion - card #1 (HDSP9652)
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# OSS/Free portion - card #2 (MidiSport 2x2)
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

Shouldn't I remove some of the services for card #2? (The MidiSport) The
PlanetCCRMA Nano Config guide doesn't seem to show which of these 5
aliases should be used. (If any!) Can you help? I'll try removing the
mixer and pcm-oss ones, and I'll try keeping the seq-oss ones, however
all of that is just OSS support, correct? Running Alsa apps, do I care
at all about OSS support for the MidiSport? I'm thinking no, and that
maybe all 5 lines can be removed?

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:04, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> The following two are the oss usb modules, you should blacklist them in
> /etc/hotplug/blacklist so that only the alsa modules are loaded.
>
> > usb-midi               17180   0  (unused)
> > audio                  41400   0  (unused)

<SNIP>
> This is, I think, a problem with the stock alsasound script. It does not take into
> account that other stuff may start alsa subsystems before the alsasound script
> runs.
>
> In this case hotplug loads the alsa usb driver. A while later alsasound is
> executed but it tests for /proc/asound to determine if it is "already running",
> that test is true and the rest of the alsa modules are not started.
>
> If this is (as I suspect) in your Gentoo box you could try copying the hacks
> I made to the Planet CCRMA alsasound script so that it loads anything that has
> not been loaded so far. That should fix the problem.

I will take a close look at that script on my Planet box soon and see if
I can scope out what you did. Thanks for the pointer.

With best regards,
Mark