abramo,

honestly i find it a little unfair to correct me on a sidenote and
completely disregard the true intention of my mail (at least that's
the impression i got).

all i am saying is the documentation is not giving the ALSA programmer
a clear picture of what which function is used for. the introduction is
very helpful, but it gives too little detail to prepare for the minimalist
documentation on the functions themselves imo.

to write code as delicate as a high-performance pcm-engine, a programmer
needs confidence in the API, especially since this code is hard to debug
in realtime. you can only give this confidence by taking your programmer
by the hand and telling him exactly what you are doing when he calls your
functions.

btw, where exactly is
>clearly stated in documentation that in ALSA PCM all sizes and
>offsets are expressed in frames where this is applicable.
please? and do you think it would really be bad to repeat this piece of
information next to the functions/data structures it applies to?

tim