Bob Ham wrote:

 > On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 14:18, Paul Davis wrote:
 >
 > Do you feel absolutely comfortable in assuming that it is neccessary
 > for ALSA to have its drivers in "as good or better than" state for it
 > to be included in Linux?  Having Linux do sound the ALSA way is better
 > than having Linux do sound the OSS was, that much I think is sure.
 > Given this, the quicker ALSA gets into Linux the better.  Those who
 > wish to use the OSS drivers can use an earlier kernel or, assuming
 > ALSA can live alongside OSS in the kernel tree, just not use ALSA.
 > Is there really that much thought to be done on the issue?

Well, I'm not very introduced to all this Alsa stuff right now, but what

I expect from Alsa, before being part of the kernel, is to:

STOP FREEZING MY DAMN COMPUTER !!!!

Each time I just have two alsamixer on two terminals (no X involved),

let say tty1 and tty2, if I just try to change the volume of "Master".

Bingo !

I get it. Hello Mr Freeze ! And then, I have to hit the reset button,
just to see fsck having good time digging into my file system and
discovering bad inodes and so on.

I am not sure that Linus will be pleased about that !

Don't you think ?

Regards
--
Emmanuel

It is always with the best intentions that the worst work is done.
    -- Oscar Wilde