Hi.
I'm temporarily not on this list and do not have a properly configured
mail client at hands, so please excuse this probably malformed mail and
please do also reply directly to me as the mailinglist archive isn't
very interactive...

Somehow parts of my alsa installation quitted its service. I do (by
others) have a CMI8738 based card which I mainly use through
OSS-Emulation snd-pcm-oss. This still works fine, also alsamixer and
amixer do, but I recently noticed that aplay wouldn't play through spdif
anymore. I usually played AC3 and DTS RIFF/WAVE-Files through aplay this
way:

aplay -D spdif <wavfile>

But now it returns:
--> ALSA lib pcm.c:1513:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type for PCM spdif
definition
--> aplay: main:446: audio open error: Invalid argument

I did several reinstalls (only alsa and both alsa+distri) which all came
to the same results only varying in linenumbers depending on source
version. To be exact I tested hopefully all combinations of:

2.4.8-26mdk, 2.4.17
egcs-1.1.2, gcc-2.95.3, gcc-3.01
Mandrake {7.2,8.1}
alsa-0.9.0beta{6,8,10}

The funny thing is that it worked fine for several months, and I do have
no clue what might be wrong this time. I first supposed some problem
which alsa.conf parsing or an outdated alsa.conf, but this can be
excluded since I also did a complete reinstall on an empty partition.
The only things I manipulated manually are:

alsa-driver configured with "--with-cards=cmipci" to speed up compilation
/etc/modules.conf:
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cmipci
alias snd-card-1 snd-pcm-oss
options snd-pcm-oss snd_dsp_map=2      # direct OSS apps to spdif device

cu Marcus