Hi, everybody on alsa-devel!

I know this might not be the right place to ask, but maybe somenone can
point me to a more suitable one...

A friend of mine has a bunch of old audio tapes on which she recorded an
interview of her grandfather when he was still alive a few years ago. They
are an historical testimony of great importance on WW2 and the jew
holocaust. She plans to give them to an historian who will eventually write
a book based on them.

The trouble is that the tapes are old and of an amateurish quality, very
noisy. I would like to digitalize and process them to reduce the noise and
perform a general cleanup.

I am a long time user of linux and an early believer in ALSA, but have no
experience in sound processing. I would nevertheless like to do the job
under the penguin system, so I ask: what tool should I use? The features
needed being (in order of importance):
1/ the ability to do the cleanup (nothing more is needed)
2/ reliability and fidelity to the original
3/ ease of use (i don't mind command line, but won't be able to figure out
too tech savvy parameters)

Thanks for your help, and keep up the good work!

Aurelien Reynaud