Hello problem like that:
I got ardour workin with my motherboard via686a driver card but it
hanged bad in some fase of using ardour.(no use anyway for that noisy
card)

I got Xwave 6000 Pro too but here comes up some errors.
I use 0.9.0beta10 drivers and libs 2.4.8 kernel mdk 8.1.

what's this?
ALSA: cannot set the number of interrupts per buffer to 2 for capture

maybe it is impossible to get it workin with yamaha 754 chip at all?

[ruudi@localhost ruudi]$ ardour -f 256
GTK/Ardour 0.96.0 running with libardour 0.410.0
Copyright 1999-2001 Paul Davis
Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
ardour: [INFO]: Linux: running on 1 processor. Consider a dual CPU
system.
ardour: [WARNING]: You appear to be using the ALSA software "plug"
layer, probably a result of using the "default" ALSA device. This is
less efficient than it could be. Consider using a ~/.asoundrc file to
define a hardware audio device rather than using the plug layer
ardour: [ERROR]: ALSA: cannot set the number of interrupts per buffer to
2 for capture
ardour: [ERROR]: ALSA-MCD: cannot configure capture channel
ALSA-MCD: cancelling audio thread
ardour: [ERROR]: cannot create multi-channel device

Thanx
Tanel