>Hello
>I am thinking of writing a low level sound card driver for alsa.
>The card in question is the dxr3 hardware DVD player, which has analogue and
>SPDIF out.
>It currently works fine with OSS drivers.
>The card has no mixers, or recording function, just write and GETOPTR,
>SETSPEED etc function in oss.
>
>Are there any documents for alsa 09 which would outline which functions I
>have to implement, and what each function should do.
>Hopefully, this will just be a matter of adding one more file to the
>alsa-driver tree to support it.
>I can find documentation on alsa-lib, but none on how to write a low level
>driver for alsa-driver.

there is none. pick a simple card. look at the source code. look for
snd_pcm_hardware_t and snd_pcm_ops_t. these define the "external API"
for your low level driver. you will probably need to implement
functions for:

   open, close, ioctl, hw_params, prepare, trigger, pointer, copy, silence

and thats about it. check other vaguely similar cards for coding
ideas.

--p