>Well, I tried restarting the alsasound and that did not fix it at all.
>Granted, I was also trying to use cmixplay command which most likely
>invokes rme card via oss emulation, and I've heard that oss emulation is
>a bit flaky. So, I did end up having to restart the machine to get the
>sound back in a workable state.

if you are using oss-emulation, all bets are off until you can
demonstrate that you get the same behaviour with alsa native programs.
there is a *lot* of untested code in the oss emulation/alsa-lib side
of things, especially regarding conversion to 24-in-32 bit samples and
non-interleaved streams. how are you using oss-emulation? if you're
just opening /dev/dspN and expecting it to work, i'll be very surpised
if this works (but happy if it does). perhaps abramo or someone else
with a hammerfall could comment on whether they've gotten this kind of
access to work ...

>As far as the ardour is concerned, when I start it with -D rme9652 -i 8
>-o 8 flags, and press play it only plays a quick "click-like" snippet of
>a sound and immediately stops (no xruns reported). Why is this happening
>(I am using the 4-6 days old CVS version)?

no idea. your description sort of implies you can record with ardour
... or did you just insert a pre-existing soundfile?

>I've already posted my asound.state file, so you can look there for any
>clues.

unfortunately, that file doesn't contain anything relevant to the
problem you're describing. the problems you are having are either in
the OSS emulation code in ALSA or caused by subtle h/w issues that we
don't fully understand, or both.

>Also, I am using latest ALSA 0.9.beta10a or whatever its name is.

that's good.

>Finally, does anyone know if Hammerfall's driver can mix streams in
>hardware like SBlive! does?

the hammerfall cannot do this. the hammerfall-DSP can do matrix
routing of signals between channels, but it does not mix software
streams down to a channel.

>I've also found an OSS version of the rme hammerfall driver (written by
>Gunther Geiger), and I do not mean to instigate a flame war by posting
>this, but am just wondering if anyone tried that one out (since it may
>be more compatible with RTCmix)?

gunther did not write that driver, winfried rietsch did. winfried's
version predates my ALSA driver, and it is both simpler and missing
some important data that i got from RME later on. it is also
significantly less efficient than the ALSA driver unless you hack it
because OSS does not allow for non-interleaved streams (meaning all
I/O has to be interleaved by the app then de-interleaved by the
driver).

i would note in passing that there are people in the SF bay area who
are prepared to pay US$600-$1000 to have machines set up to run linux
audio software. its not a trivial thing to do, despite what you may
hope for and might have read. in fact, its no more or less trivial
than getting windows/macos setup for proper operation with audio
software.

--p