Excellent news.
I am an opensource developer. My main project at the moment is xine,
http://xine.sf.net and dvdnav http://dvd.sf.net.
The main requirement from xine is to get audio and video in perfect sync
with each other. Alsa provides for that requirement very well.
I would like to say that alsa 0.9.x is a great improvement over alsa 0.5.x,
and the fact that it is now in the kernel sources just goes to prove it.
I found it much easier to write applications for alsa 0.9.x than alsa 0.5.x.
For my part, I have only helped alsa is very minor ways. (bug fixes for SB
Live)
Over the coming months, I will hopefully be adding some low level audio
drivers to alsa.

The first on my list is dxr3 audio. This is a hardware dvd decoder with
integrated analogue and spdif out.
Currently, it is supported with an oss driver, but I hope to port it at some
point to alsa 0.9.x.
Now that alsa 0.9.x is in the kernel, there is even more reason to port over
all the remaining oss drivers to alsa 0.9.x.
I am finding it very difficult to find sound cards which are only supported
by oss. ;-)

I particularly like the way that alsa has a kernel driver module, and a
separate alsa-lib.
This makes the kernel image small, while at the same time presenting a very
nice API to application developers.
I would like to see this happen with other parts of the kernel. E.g. ISDN
support.

Congratulations to all the alsa developers. :-)

Cheers
James