You wrote:

> It seems, that the ALC640 is not compatible to the intel810.

The ALC650 (which is what you meant, right?) is indeed not recognized by
ALSA's AC97 code, if I understood that part of the sources of 0.9.0rc1
correctly. That can be relatively easily fixed by adding:
{ 0x414C4720, 0xfffffff0, "ALC650",            NULL },
to snd_ac97_codec_ids[] in ac97_codec.c
With that little change the ALC650 is apparently detected alright.

Only, it doesn't work any better. =)

If I try to use the via8233 module, I get the same result as you when playing
(no sound, I/O error). But even with the ALC650 added to ac97_codec.c,
modprobing snd-intel8x0 doesn't work:
root@byblos:~# modprobe snd-intel8x0
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: init_module: No such
device
And the syslog reports that the ICH device wasn't found or is busy.
So I guess it's not just a problem of AC97 not recognizing the ALC650. Argh.

I'l keep you informed, should I somehow manage to get it to work (unlikely,
but eh). :)

-- S.